South Sudan slams Ghana’s decision to back arms embargo .

Michael Makuei , South Sudan Information Minister

May 29, 2022 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese government has described as “disappointing” Ghana’s decision to vote in favour of the recent renewal of arms embargo by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

The UN Security Council on Thursday last week adopted a resolution to renew for a year, till May 31, 2023, an arms embargo against South Sudan.

Security Council Resolution 2633 (2022) was adopted by a vote of 10 in favour (Albania, Brazil, France, Ghana, Ireland, Mexico, Norway, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States) to none against, with five abstentions (China, Gabon, India, Kenya and the Russian Federation).

South Sudan government, however, applauded China, India, Russia, Gabon and Kenya for not voting for the sanctions on Juba. The five countries abstained from the vote. The resolution to extend the ban through May 2023, drafted by the United States, was passed with 10 out of 15 votes.

The vote by Ghana in favour of the U.S-drafted resolution angered Juba.

“That our brotherly country, whom we look to as an anchor of Pan-Africanism, should vote against the African Union position disappoints us. We, nonetheless, have confidence that the Ghanaian Government will revisit its position,” South Sudan’s Foreign Affairs ministry said in a statement.

“That some countries would dismiss the African Union’s stance on this matter shows an old hubris with no value for a world shaken by wars, including in Africa and Europe. When the African Union rejected the US-sponsored sanctions and arms embargo on South Sudan, Ghana was its chair”, it added.

South Sudan Minister  Information minister Michael Makuei said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had written a letter to the UNSC protesting the decision.

“The government of South Sudan is dissatisfied and disappointed with the resolution of the Security Council because this resolution in the opinion of the government doesn’t actually serve the interest of the people of South Sudan and doesn’t in any way serve the proper implementation of the agreement,” he told the state-owned South Sudan television (SSBC) Friday.

“We call on members of the UNSC not to listen to individual reports that are presented without being substantiated and by so doing they take such decisions at a time when they are not properly substantiated,” he added.

On 28 May 2021, the UN Security Council renewed its arms embargo on the territory of South Sudan, which it first imposed in 2018, and identified the implementation of the 2021 action plan as one of five benchmarks against which renewal of the arms embargo would be reviewed in May 2022.

(ST

https://sudantribune.com/article259530/)

Sudan’s Gen El Burhan lifts State of Emergency!

May 30 – 2022 KHARTOUM

Gen Abdelfattah El Burhan (Photo: SUNA)
Gen Abdelfattah El Burhan (Photo: SUNA)

Sudan’s President of the Sovereignty Council, Gen Abdelfattah El Burhan, will lift the nationwide State of Emergency, according to the council’s statement on Sunday.

The State of Emergency, which came into effect following the military October 25 coup and was underpinned by the dissolution of the transitional cabinet, initiated nationwide anti-coup protests that have rocked Sudan ever since.

In their statement, the Sovereignty Council said that they hoped this decision would provide “a fruitful and meaningful dialogue that achieves stability during the transitional period”.

Following the killing of two protestors on Saturday and the latest calls to remove the State of Emergency by Volker Perthes, head of the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS), the decision came after a meeting with Sudan’s leading junta officials, on Sunday.

This decision means that people imprisoned or detained under an emergency law should be freed effective immediately. The coup authorities have rounded up and detained hundreds of activists since the beginning of the coup.

The intra-Sudanese talks, led by the trilateral mechanism of UNITAMS, African Union (AU), and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), have been urging the coup government and other stakeholders to resolve the crisis.

https://www.dabangasudan.org/en/all-news/article/sudan-s-gen-el-burhan-lifts-state-of-emergency

Sudan Military Lifts State Of Emergency, Releases Prisoners.

MAY 30, 2022

Sudan’s army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has issued a decree lifting a state of emergency that he imposed after seizing control in a military coup on Oct. 25, 2021.

al-Burhan, the East African nation’s de facto head of state, also ordered the release of political prisoners.

He said it applies to all areas of Sudan and that he hoped it would further fruitful and meaningful dialogue that would achieve stability for the transitional period.

According to the Sudan Tribune, 125 people were released from custody a few hours later.

The military seized power on Oct. 25, toppling a transitional government composed of civilians and military officials.

The new rulers declared a state of emergency that granted expanded power to security forces.

Human rights organisations said hundreds of anti-government demonstrators have been rounded up and severely mistreated in recent months.

International economic aid for the impoverished country has been largely frozen, compounding the turmoil.

UN Special Representative for Sudan Volker Perthes on Saturday called for the state of emergency to be lifted following the recent deaths of two young protesters in Khartoum.

“It is time for the violence to stop, time to end the state of emergency, time for a peaceful way out of the current crisis in Sudan,’’ he tweeted.

Sudan was ruled with an iron fist for almost 30 years by the Islamist Omar al-Bashir.

The strongman was forced out of office in April 2019 by months of mass protests and a military coup.

The military, led by al-Burhan, and the civilian opposition then agreed on a shared transitional government to pave the way for democratic elections, but the relationship soon soured, leading to the coup last October.

Al-Burhan was supposed to have withdrawn from the transitional government by 2021 at the latest and leave the leadership of the country to civilians.

Another basis for the coup was the civilian government’s plan for extensive economic reforms that would have caused major cuts to the military.

https://www.withinnigeria.com/broadnews/2022/05/30/sudan-military-lifts-state-of-emergency-releases-prisoners/

UN Security Council renews arms embargo, sanctions on South Sudan.

FRIDAY MAY 27 2022

Confiscated guns.
UN commanders in South Sudan inspect confiscated guns in 2014. PHOTO | FILE | NMG

The UN Security Council on Thursday renewed an arms embargo and sanctions against South Sudan amid continuing unrest in the country.

A resolution to extend the ban through May 2023, drafted by the United States, was passed with 10 out of 15 votes, with Gabon, Kenya, India, Russia, and China abstaining.

The embargo was imposed in 2018 after a peace agreement ended five years of bloody civil war between factions loyal to President Salva Kiir and Vice President Riek Machar.

When the embargo was last extended a year ago, authorities in South Sudan were given a list of political and security conditions in order for the restrictions to be lifted or relaxed.

However, earlier this month, a UN expert panel recommended that that the embargo remain in place over persistent ceasefire violations as well as over the government’s imports of armoured vehicles in violation of the ban.

And UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said more progress is needed in the areas of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration of combatants.

A diplomatic source said the resolution passed Thursday contains a provision for a possible easing of the restrictions for non-lethal military equipment if it is needed to fulfil the 2018 peace agreement.

The provision was included at the request of the Security Council’s three African members, Kenya, Gabon, and Ghana, the diplomatic source said.

The youngest country in the world, South Sudan has experienced chronic instability since becoming independent from Sudan in 2011.

The 2013-2018 war left nearly 400,000 dead and millions displaced.

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/tea/news/east-africa/un-security-council-renews-arms-embargo-on-south-sudan-3828776

Sudan women’s activist wins human rights prize!

Sudanese women’s activist Amira Osman Hamed has won a Front Line Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk, the organisation announced Friday.

Sudanese activist Amira Osman Hamed speaks with an AFP journalist during an interview in Khartoum on September 8, 2013, when she faced potential flogging under Sudanese law for leaving her hair uncovered
© ASHRAF SHAZLY Sudanese activist Amira Osman Hamed speaks with an AFP journalist during an interview in Khartoum on September 8, 2013, when she faced potential flogging under Sudanese law for leaving her hair uncovered

The activist and engineer, now in her forties, has been advocating for Sudanese women for two decades, and was detained this year in a crackdown following the country’s latest coup.

She was among defenders from Afghanistan, Belarus, Zimbabwe and Mexico who also received the 2022 award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk.

Osman “never deterred from her mission,” Dublin-based Front Line Defenders said in its awards announcement, “consistently (advocating) for democracy, human rights, and women’s rights.”

After first being charged for wearing trousers in 2002, she drew international support in 2013 when she was detained and threatened with flogging for refusing to wear a headscarf. 

Both charges fell under morality laws during the rule of longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir who took power in an Islamist-backed coup. Osman told AFP at the time that the morality laws had “changed Sudanese women from victims to criminals” and targeted “the dignity of Sudanese people.”

In 2009 she established “No to Women Oppression”, an initiative to advocate against the much-derided Public Order Law. It was finally repealed in 2019 after Bashir’s ouster following a mass uprising.

Women were at the forefront of protests that toppled Bashir, and hopes were high for a more liberal Sudan as restrictions were removed that had stifled their actions and public lives. 

But many fear for the hard-won liberties gained since his ouster, after the October coup led by army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan derailed a fragile transition to civilian rule.

A crackdown on civilian pro-democracy figures has followed, with at least 96 people killed in protests and hundreds detained.

In late January 2022, Osman’s team told AFP that “30 masked armed men” had stormed into her house in Khartoum in the middle of the night, “taking her to an unknown location.”

The United Nations mission to Sudan called for her release, tweeting that “Amira’s arrest and pattern of violence against women’s rights activists severely risks reducing their political participation in Sudan.”

She was freed in early February and an AFP correspondent saw her participating in a demonstration, kneeling on crutches due to a prior back injury. 

The award has honoured human rights defenders annually since 2005. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sudan-women-s-activist-wins-human-rights-prize/ar-AAXMWtd?ocid=uxbndlbing

Rights group urges investigations into Abyei killings.

Abyei.jpg

May 24, 2022 (KHARTOUM) – A human rights group has expressed “deep” concern over the continued inter-tribal attacks between the between Dinka and Misseriya tribes in Abyi area located at the border between Sudan and South Sudan, urging “urgent” investigation into the incident.

The African Center for Justice and Peace Studies (ACJPS), in a statement, said these attacks resulted into the killing and injuring of several people.

The New York-based entity said it documented the killing of 21 people and wounding of12 others in four separate incidents in Abyei between April and May.

“ACJPS calls on the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the international community, to conduct an impartial and independent investigations into the circumstances of the killings and injuring,” partly reads ACJPS’s statement extended to Sudan Tribune.

“This investigation should be carried out with the aim of ensuring accountability”, it added.

ACJPS specifically appealed to the United Nations peacekeepers in Abyei (UNISFA) to deploy widely and ensure that patrol covers the upper areas, access ways and roads, links between markets and main residential areas.

It further urged the UN to review the 2015 agreement between the Dinka and Misseriya tribes that was signed in Alnam area in Abyei, in which both parties committed to ensuring security in joint markets and agreed to adopt compensation as a form of accountability in cases of damage resulting from attacks or loss of cattle.

The rights group also called upon authorities in Sudan and South Sudan to resume peace talks and ensure efforts to resolve to pending issues relating to Abyei Area.

In recent months, violence has intensified in the contested oil-producing region, despite the presence of the UN peacekeeping force in the area.

According to authorities in the area, some of the attacks were carried out by the Sudanese Misseriya tribe with the most recent one happening last month, whereby more than 40 civilians including women and children were killed by suspected Misseriya tribesmen in separate incidents in the area.

The Abyei Area, a territory of 10,546 km² on the border between Sudan and South Sudan, was accorded “special administrative status” by the 2004 Protocol on the Resolution of the Abyei Conflict in the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) that ended the second Sudanese civil war.

In 2011, the UN Security Council deployed its peacekeeping force in the disputed area after deadly clashes displaced thousands of the population.

https://sudantribune.com/article259275/

Large demonstrations to denounce Sudan junta’s violent repression of protesters!

May 24 – 2022 KHARTOUM / KHARTOUM NORTH / OMDURMAN / EL GEDAREF / EL GEZIRA

Barricades on fire during Monday's Marches of the Millions in El Gezira (social media)
Barricades on fire during Monday’s Marches of the Millions in El Gezira (social media)

A large number of Sudanese took part in the May 23 Marches of the Millions yesterday, called for by the resistance committees under the slogan “we will not be broken” to denounce the excessive violence in the face of Saturday’s demonstrations.​

Demonstrators in Omdurman, Khartoum, and Khartoum North (Bahri) all moved towards El Arbaeen street (renamed Martyr Abdelazim Street) in Omdurman.

The police fired tear gas and used excessive violence against the protesters and tried to impede the arrival of the demonstrators from Khartoum North to Omdurman.

The protesters barricaded several main roads in Omdurman while the demonstrations turned into a ‘hit and run’ with the security forces. A large number of protesters was injured.

The marches were held under the slogan “we will not be broken” to denounce the excessive violence used against protesters by security forces on Saturday, in which a protester was killed.

In total, ninety-six protesters have been killed since the coup in October last year and over 1,500 have been detained.

A member of the Khartoum Resistance Committees told The Guardian that “in the last few days, they have increased the arrests. Two from our [resistance] committee were taken at the weekend. There have been lots of other people taken. We are keeping a low profile these days.”

Marches of the millions elsewhere

Demonstrations also took place in El Gedaref in eastern Sudan. There, people called for those who killed protesters to be held accountable.

In Atbara, River Nile state, activists organised a protest sit-in in front of the Atbara Courts Complex to demand the release of political detainees and an end to the shooting of protesters and to oppose the October 25 coup.

Protests also took place in El Gezira as part of the nationwide escalation of nonviolent resistance activities following the killing of a protester in Omdurman.

At the international level, the US Embassy in Khartoum called for stopping violence against protesters, releasing political detainees, and lifting the State of Emergency.

Environmental protest in South Kordofan against the use of poisonous metals in mining practices (social media)

Other demonstrations in Sudan

Apart from pro-democracy demonstrations, Sudanese are holding protest vigils, calling for access to drinking water, a safe environment, or better payment and working conditions in various places in the country.

Residents of the village of El Shimeilab in El Gedaref are continuing their open sit-in that started 15 days ago demanding access to drinking water.

People in Abu Jubeiha, South Kordofan, stage a silent protest demanding the prosecution of those using poisonous materials such as mercury and cyanide in mining practices.  

The staff of the Television & Radio Broadcasting Authority of River Nile staged a silent protest demanding better working conditions.

Civil servants at the judicial authority in Sennar are on strike demanding salary restructuring and pay raises.


https://www.dabangasudan.org/en/all-news/article/large-demonstrations-to-denounce-sudan-junta-s-violent-repression-of-protesters

Sudan doctors: 48 injured in May 23 March of Millions.

A demonstrator faces tear gas at a protest march in Khartoum (File photo: Mustafa)
A demonstrator faces tear gas at a protest march in Khartoum (File photo: Mustafa)

May 25 – 2022 KHARTOUM / KHARTOUM NORTH / OMDURMAN / EL GEDAREF / EL GEZIRA

The Central Committee of Sudan Doctors reported that 48 injuries were recorded in the May 23 Marches of Millions, including eight injuries to the head with tear gas and cases of birdshot and rubber bullet injuries.

The committee said in a field report yesterday that Omdurman recorded 38 injuries, along with five injuries in Khartoum, and four injuries in Khartoum North.

A large number of Sudanese took part in the marches on Monday, called for by the resistance committees under the slogan “we will not be broken” to denounce the excessive violence in the face of Saturday’s demonstrations.

Demonstrators in Omdurman, Khartoum, and Khartoum North (Bahri) all moved towards El Arbaeen street (renamed Martyr Abdelazim Street) in Omdurman.

The police fired tear gas and used excessive violence against the protesters and tried to impede the arrival of the demonstrators from Khartoum North to Omdurman.

The protesters barricaded several main roads in Omdurman while the demonstrations turned into a ‘hit and run’ with the security forces. A large number of protesters was injured.

The marches were held under the slogan “we will not be broken” to denounce the excessive violence used against protesters by security forces on Saturday, in which a protester was killed.

Demonstrations also took place in El Gedaref in eastern Sudan. There, people called for those who killed protesters to be held accountable.

In Atbara, River Nile state, activists organised a protest sit-in in front of the Atbara Courts Complex to demand the release of political detainees and an end to the shooting of protesters and to oppose the October 25 coup.

Protests also took place in El Gezira as part of the nationwide escalation of nonviolent resistance activities following the killing of a protester in Omdurman.

At the international level, the US Embassy in Khartoum called for stopping violence against protesters, releasing political detainees, and lifting the State of Emergency.

https://www.dabangasudan.org/en/all-news/article/sudan-doctors-48-injured-in-may-23-march-of-millions